Friday, September 16, 2016

Return To Stowe Creek, Take Two.

        If you have been reading me for any length of time, you may recall some posts related to my days spent in Yukon as a young man in the prime of life, mining and prospecting for gold.
I've been involved in many adventures, ventures, and misadventures in the 35 years since, but I've never forgotten those exciting days spent in the north seeking placer-gold.
   I often thought about our old Stowe Creek out there all those years which we never did get around to mining, and 10 years ago rented a camper and took what I thought was a once in a lifetime trip back to my favorite old creek for one last time to relive those exciting times, if only in my mind for a few days out at the remote valley, which at the time had changed little from our days of exploration there. Before the trip was over I was thinking how cool it would be to do it again someday. But getting up there in years, or so I'm told, and having been there-done that already once, I didn't think it would ever happen, let alone seeing an outfit in operation there. But an old bugger can always dream.
    In the decade since, with the rise in gold-price, Chris St.Jean and Nika Guilbault began an operation on Stowe Creek mining our old claims, that for the past few seasons has been featured on the popular program Yukon Gold, which I take every opportunity possible to brag about on here.
Well, I figured it couldn't get any cooler than that, but apparently, it has.
   Chris and Nika, and the producers of Yukon Gold have invited me back to my old gold prospect, I'll head out to Stowe Creek and move into camp like some visiting celebrity for a week, or until they get tired of me, which ever comes first.
I'm counting the days, and fly north the first week of September, the Yukon Fall leaves will be out, and Chris and Nika will be at the end of their 2016 mining season.
You can be sure I will let you know how it all goes.

http://hotspringlodge.blogspot.ca/2016/03/old-timers-on-stowe-creek-1901-1981.html
http://hotspringlodge.blogspot.ca/2016/10/behind-scenes-at-yukon-gold.html

No comments:

Post a Comment